Naming of Parts

One of the first poems I truly enjoyed reading is The Naming of Parts by Henry Reed. I found this poem to be captivating and more so of a story and less of an outlet of emotions. Reed was able to create a scene with this piece that allowed me to sit back and watch as a young soldier learned his weapon surrounded by the beauty of nature. While listening to the poem in class, I thought it had a nice sound it flowed and made logical sense. I liked that I found it soothing almost, but then as I read over it and the class discussed what they saw in the poem I was able to see the intricate weaving and ambiguity of the piece.

I love how the speaker is taking what he sees with all the plants and flowers around him and morphing it with the parts of the guns he hears. It combines the beauty of nature with the harsh pieces of war. The final stanza takes all this and has the speaker twist it together in a magnificent way.

This is the first piece of poetry I was able to appreciate and see the beauty behind. It felt like I could place myself in the speaker’s shoes and understand the world around them. Other poems we have read feel like outlets for the poet and not really ever meant to be understood by the general public. That is what turns me away from poetry is that it is all about the feelings and emotions the poet has for a subject instead of making it relatable and pretty to read and imagine.


Comments

  1. I am so glad you found a poem you enjoyed. Even though this is considered a war poem, I do agree that there is a certain beauty about the piece. One of my favorite stanzas refers to the springs of the gun moving back and forward, and the bees in the spring time. It uses springs alternate meanings and connects it in a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Read Shakespeare

Ophelia Advice

Hamlet